DOT Physical Exams Clinic in Parrish FL, Bradenton FL, and Sarasota FL
A DOT Physical is required if you want to be a certified Department of Transportation driver. Contact PrimeHealth Urgent Care. We have convenient locations to serve you in Parrish, FL, Bradenton, FL, and Sarasota, FL. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
Here at PrimeHealth Urgent Care, our team of specialists provides our community with numerous urgent care services, including drug testing, minor burn treatment, vaccinations, infection care, and much more. Whether you’re in need of a routine physical examination or have recently suffered from an injury, Prime Health Urgent Care can provide you with the care you need. One type of comprehensive physical examination we provide for our patients is called a DOT physical. Below is everything you need to know about DOT physicals and why you may need one!
A Department of Transportation physical, otherwise known as a DOT physical exam, is a required medical screening test for those who drive commercial vehicles. If you fall under the following criteria, you will need to complete a DOT physical to meet the health and safety requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration:
– You drive a vehicle designed for 15 or more passengers
– You get paid to drive more than 8 people
– Your gross vehicle weight rating is over 10,000 pounds
– You drive around hazardous materials that require a placard
DOT physical examinations consist of a medical history discussion, a hands-on physical, screening tests, and a sleep apnea test for those with symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea.
During your medical history discussion, prepare to answer the following questions:
– Have you had any previous health conditions or general health problems?
– Do you use substances such as illegal drugs, alcohol, or tobacco?
– Do you have any new or worsening symptoms?
– Are you currently on any over-the-counter or prescription medications?
– Have you ever had surgery?
– Have you ever been dependent on illegal substances?
During the hands-on physical, you can expect your physician to check the following:
– Blood pressure
– Nervous system
– Circulatory system
– Urinary system
– General Appearance
– Mouth and throat
– Lungs and chest
– Back and spine
During your screening tests, your physician may run a series of screening tests if they suspect you may have a medical problem. Possible screening tests could include x-rays, blood tests, and/or urinalysis. If you’re displaying signs or symptoms of sleep apnea such as morning headaches, heavy snoring, dry mouth, or chronic fatigue, your physician will run sleeping tests.
To prepare for a DOT physical exam, you’ll want to know exactly what your physician expects from you. To save time, bring the following paperwork to your physical:
– Your doctor’s name, address, and contact information
– A list of every medication you’re currently taking
– Glasses or hearing aids
– A letter from your doctor if :
– You have a history of a neurological disorder
– You’re on any sleep aids or blood thinners
– You’ve lost the use of a limb
– You have a cardiovascular condition
– Blood sugar readings if you are diabetic
While the DOT physical exam includes a urinalysis, it doesn’t include drug screening. The urine sample during your DOT physical is simply to check the health and function of your kidneys. That being said, many companies will likely need a drug test from you as a pre-employment requirement.
For further information about how our DOT physical exam specialist can help you at one of our locations, please reach out to our front desk anytime during our business hours. We proudly provide DOT physical exams at our clinics conveniently located in Parrish, FL, Bradenton, FL, and Sarasota, FL. If you’re in need of an efficient DOT exam, our team would love to help. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online. We serve patients from Bradenton FL, Parrish FL, Sarasota FL, Ellenton FL, Palmetto FL, Lakewood Ranch FL, Sun City FL, Oneco FL, Fruitville FL, and West Samoset FL. We look forward to seeing you at PrimeHealth Urgent Care soon!